The Grassroots Art Center opened in 1995 and occupies three turn-of-the-century native limestone buildings on the Main Street of Lucas. The main building was a bank until the bank holiday in 1933; it did not re-open as a bank but became the town's post office; the upper floor was used as a Masonic lodge, a use reflected in the emblem carved in the capstone as well as an etched window. The old vault of the bank remains intact in the center gallery.
The north building was originally a doctor's office, and retains a keystone carved with the physician's name, Geo. Eye, 1897; it later was used as a drugstore, pool hall, and truck repair shop. The south gallery was a bakery, then a café, a dry-cleaning business, and storage facility before renovation.
Click on an architectural element (both floors) for close-up views